[opencms-dev] Re: opencms-dev Digest, Vol 109, Issue 4

Joe Lam joe.lam at moni-media.net
Fri Sep 8 04:23:05 CEST 2006

just to share my experience. hope this helps.

template property is like the global layout of pages within a site. I
use template to define (store) the header, navigation menu, sidebar, the
box to contain main content and the footer.

this is the basic codes of a template
if (cms.template("head")) {
} // end of head template

if (cms.template("content")) {
}

if (cms.template("foot")) {
}

the template-element property is used to display the inner content.
for a structured xml content, the default template-element property is
set in modules.xml
<property>
   <name>template-elements</name>
      <value
type="shared"><![CDATA[/system/modules/module-name/whateverfolder/detail_typename.jsp]]></value>
</property>

the detail jsp looks like this
<cms:include property="template" element="head" />

<cms:contentload collector="singleFile"
param="${pageContext.detailfile}" editable="true">
   ... show content stuff ...
</cms:contentload>

<cms:include property="template" element="foot" />

for each structured content, I have one detail jsp whose job is to
display the specific content type. this jsp's main job is playing (grab
data from the outer type and the nested type) with the fields in the xml
content and then display them in customized way. I use scriptlet instead
of tablib to do this. more flexible.

for me, xmlpage doesnt need template-element property, just put content
in body element. the template jsp will make use of the body element
automatically. (thanks to templateOne)

Joe