Re: [opencms-dev] Does anybody developing modules with jar-libs or are you using templateone.templates

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Mon Sep 11 22:27:15 CEST 2006

> couldn't find any very well documentation. Now I try to understand the
> CmsDefaultXmlContentHandler but it took me hours. Does anyone has the
> same problems or is there somewhere a good manuell how to expand the
> Default API?

I have not used layout handlers, so I cannot say anything on this.
By the way - you don't have to use JARS for your own code. You could also use a folder hierarchy with class files, which is less elegant but more direct.

Personally, I don't have my classes in the virtual FS at all. I just copy them to WEB-INF/classes in the real filesystem.
It's much easier for development and my custom development (but not so good for making the code available to others - if you plan this, then of course your code should be contained in the libs or classes subfolder of your opencms module).

> My second big problem is the manifest.xml. Does anybody knows a good
> documentation about the configuration of the manifest.xml. Most probelms
> could be solved which exporting modules and look at those manifests but
> not all my problems could be solved this way and it takes very long.

I think the main point with the manifest.xml of exported content is the GUIDs.
these GUIDs are the ids of the content body. If two filenames share the same GUID then they are siblings and if you create a file under a new filename, but with an existing GUID then you create a new sibling for an existing file.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that two siblings always share the same resource type. If you import two files with different resource type assignments, but identical GUID, then you get two siblings and the resource type of the resource that was imported later will "win". If you re-import a file with a different resource type assignment, then the resource type will always be changed for this resource.

If you want to work with GUIDs, there is a class, called CmsUUID, but I haven't worked with it yet.
___

That's the only thing that comes to my mind here and I spend some time finding this out the hard way. I hope it helps somehow, because to me the usage of GUIDs seems to be the hardest part of manifest.xml (although I haven't worked extensively with the import/export - mechanism).

hope that helps at least a bit.
christian