[opencms-dev] Accessing XML Files

Bill Taylor bill.billtaylor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:36:07 CEST 2006

One requirement we have from our client is to display lottery numbers
in a dynamic fashion (the lottery numbers change at least twice a day)
using OpenCMS (logically). One of the nice things is that we can
determine how the we  will receive the numbers on a scheduled basis.

After reading about the XML content that OpenCMS has built-in seems
like a logical choice for reading an XML file of winning numbers then
style the page according.

Creating a XML Schema and build the JSP accessing the XML nodes seems
very straight forward. The part I'm struggling with is how to access
the XML file that will change at least twice a day. I'm familiar with
the concept of VFS and how files are stored however is there anyway I
can dynamically "replace" my XML file without resorting to an manual
upload process or editing the xml file by hand?

If this cannot be done I'll parse the files myself (or read them from
a database). However if there is some other mechanisms that I haven't
found yet in OpenCMS I'm open to suggestions.

thanks,

--
Bill Taylor