[opencms-dev] Re: Transactional integrity - is there any?

Joachim Arrasz info at arrasz.de
Wed Oct 18 17:16:55 CEST 2006

Hi,

> I've since come to suspect that's because most open source applications
> which rely primarily on MySQL aren't transactional at the database
> level.  In turn, I imagine this is because a transactional MySQL engine
> came relatively late to the party.  I agree with you, though - it ought
> to be a feature of the design.  The usual justification for it not being
> so is that in the web app world you're dealing largely with read-only
> transactions, not with updates.

afair there is no transaction support in the opensource distribution of
OpenCms. Nevertheless it's not so hard to get it. You have to
reimplement the sql files which are shipped with the distri. Then you
have to rewrite the concrete abstraction layers. We did this (not
complete just for some relevant tables) for mysql last year. It was a
POC Implementation. Just showed that it can work. The customer decided
not to use opencms.

Regards

Achim

--