[opencms-dev] Alternative way to remove /opencms/opencms w.o. installing as ROOT (a rewritten version)

Rudolf Blazek opencms at blazek.net
Fri Oct 20 16:51:41 CEST 2006

Hi List,

there was a problem with one part of the procedure, so I did some
testing. Works with Tomcat 5.0 and 5.5. No workplace files modified.
Other URL examples are included. I have posted the rewritten
instructions at
http://www.opencms-forum.de/opencms-forum/viewthread?thread=1998

My approach to removing the dreaded "/opencms/opencms" from the URL
is a hybrid two-stage solution:

1) Remove the first 'opencms' by deploying opencms as the root web
app, no matter where it's installed (this first step is new)
2) Remove the second 'opencms' by editing the file opencms-
importexport.xml (similar to original instructions)

There are three advantages of doing it this way:
1) This approach seems to work with both Tomcat 5.0 and Tomcat 5.5.
There is no problem with the session id.
2) There is no need to hack the files inside of the OpenCms
workplace. This makes the modification safer. Only 3 files are edited
in the filesystem.
3) OpenCms can be installed anywhere. That means that we can have
several installations of OpenCms and decide which one to deploy under
what URL.

Added bonus:
In the appendix I discuss how to deploy OpenCms under arbitrary URLs
no matter where it was installed.

Best of luck
Rudy Blazek