[opencms-dev] Permissioned External Content

Scott Carlson scott at optionvue.com
Mon Oct 23 20:25:28 CEST 2006

So, I implemented a solution for having external content (i.e. on the
real file system, not within the db) that is accessible and permissioned
in OpenCms. Really it was quite easy.

1. I created a new "Structured Content" type. When I want a link to
external content, I create a new instance of this type in the OpenCMS
vfs where I want to be able to access the file. As a bonus, I can use
this in OpenCms to apply meta data, especially useful for searching
against the external files.

2. For the new ResourceType that I created, I wrote a template-element
to "display" the file. The template-element uses a class to read the
file from the real file system (using a base path + the pathInfo of the
request), and it streams the file out to the browser.

Anyone interested in the code, let me know, and I'll post it.

Scott