[opencms-dev] 500 - internal server error

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Oct 25 13:31:05 CEST 2006

>  The weird thing about that is, this index.html works fine when I look
> at the preview from within the openCMS explorer. And even weirder:
> when I invoke the openCMS default page at
> http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms and retry to invoke
> http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/mypage/index.html again, it
> works fine. I can call every page of my website without any problems.
> But when I close the browser-window (i.e. close the session), and try
> again, I am getting the 500 error code again. So what is happening?
> Does the default index.jsp page at
> http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/index.jsp initialize some kind
> of session? How can I avoid that, since I can’t ask all visitors of
> the website to open the openCMS default page first in order to view my
> website…!?

Even if you use sessions in your JSP, by specifying
    <%@page session="true" %>
then this would not mean that people need to login. So the reason must
be sth. different.

Maybe your index.jsp tries to read some file that was never published
into the online project?
Maybe you work with a different site root when you are logged -
different from the site-root-folder that you have configured for your site?

In any case - your logs should show the error and if they don't you
could temporarily increase the log level.

hth
christian