[opencms-dev] OpenCMS book

Christoph Schönfeld cschoenfeld at sylphen.com
Fri Oct 27 18:58:26 CEST 2006

> Is there a good book on OpenCMS 6 either out or in the works?
There are exactly two books, both by Matt Butcher. Actually it is one
book in two editions. The old edition is for OpenCms 5.x. The new one is
called "Managing and Customizing OpenCms 6 Websites". You can buy a copy
here: http://www.packtpub.com/OpenCMS6-admin.

I bought it recently to get started with OpenCms development.

The book is less a guide for OpenCms development rather than an
administrator's handbook. It takes the screen shot approach to explain
every function of the OpenCms web UI. I was disappointed by the book
because it does not provide much detail on module development and it
does not cover XML content, the most important feature of OpenCms 6, at
all.

My current view of the situation is that many of the powerful and
important features of OpenCms are undocumented.
Because of its UI-centric approach Matt's book provides little help on
these things.

Information on advanced topics is scattered over the mailing list and
the online forum (www.opencms-forum.de).

Regards,
Christoph