[opencms-dev] DbAccess for a custom file type

Andy Bicksbo schlachtzeuger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 11:37:06 CET 2006

Hi

I want to build a backend adminmodule, for example a newsletter module or a
Module, which synchronices users data wich another database, or a shop, or a
Module which manages a big amount of similiar websites, which should run on
one ocms instance. So these Module should has it's own datatables of course.
So there would be cases, where a good db connection is not important, for
example for the shop Module, or the newsletter Module (it only would be
beatyfuller to have the same implementation than ocms has) but i think, in
the other to cases, it is important that there's a good why to connect to
db. There's actually a possibility to get a dbpool connection with
CmsSqlManager.getConnection(String dbPoolName), but i don#t know, if it#s
good to use just a random conn out of the pool(to not slow down the whole
cms, or invoke other problems with the connection, if there's a big
aplication, which uses this way to connect), cause Ocms never uses
this without a specific CmsDbContext. They use getConnection(CmsDbConext
dbc). So my question is :

how to get this DbContext and implement the new Driver correctly to Opencms?
How would the opencms team build a new adminModule with db connection?
Would they alter the core classes?(CmsObject, CmsSecurityManager,
CmsDriverManager)?

and thx to christian for your time....
Andy