[opencms-dev] Categorisation of content, future of channels

Sami Nygard sami.nygard at wombat.fr
Thu Dec 14 15:41:23 CET 2006

Dear all,

I would like to categorise content in a way which puts least possible
burden on the authors.
What could be the best practice for this?

My current solution relies on writing the category information in the
XML-content but has now resulted in severe performance problems
(collection) as I need to unmarshal the XML in order to get the
categories. Also, a single document contains several different
categories so if I were to map these to custom page properties I would
end up with an infinite amount of properties.

I understand that 'channels' are/ have been for this purpose but I read
a discouraging entry somewhere that this concept is deprecated and am
afraid to build anything on it.

Thanks
/Sami