[opencms-dev] Configuring User Interface

Lori Boes lori at skysailsoftware.com
Fri Dec 15 01:01:42 CET 2006

Hello,

I'm in the process of investigating OpenCms to see if it can be used for a
project we're working on. One of the requirements for this project is that
the User interface be as "dumb" as possible. Each user is responsible for
editing 1 piece of content and should only be able to see & edit that one
piece of content. When done updating, the user would complete the workflow
task so that the appropriate notifications happen. Here are examples of the
GUI changes I'd like to make & would like to know if these sorts of things
are possible:

* When the user logs in, I would like for them to see only the file he is
responsible for, none other (in the Explorer view). Could this be done using
permissions? In the little playing around I've done with the default content
types, the User group has write permission to any content I've created so I
haven't been able to limit the permissions to one person per document.

* I'd like to remove the "Project" drop down list in the top menu bar. By
default they would be at the "Start With Project" defined in the Preferences
(Explorer & Workflow views)

* I'd like to remove "Administration" from the "View" drop down list in the
top menu bar (Explorer & Workflow views)

* I'd like to remove the "Upload" (Explorer view) & "New" (Explorer &
Workflow views) buttons from the top menu bar. We only want them editing
content that's there already.

* If possible, I'd like to remove the "Preferences" button, but is there
another way for the Administrator to change a user's preferences if
necessary?

* In the Workflow view, I'd like to remove most of the Filters from that
drop down list. I want them only to see their tasks. I'd like only one
filter ("My Tasks") to be available for them to view only their task. There
will be only one task for a user.

Are these things possible? If so, can someone point me in the right
direction as to where to look to make these changes?

Thanks for your input,

Lori Boes