[opencms-dev] opencms verse JBoss Portal Server?

Mick Knutson mickknutson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 20:50:38 CET 2006

I have been making some progress, but not enough.
The main things I want to do that I am unsure how opencms will handle this
are:

   - Custom User object with attributes to support subscription payments
   - Ability for multi-level roles so artists can edit their own bio page
   and calendar
   - Ability for me, a java programmer, create a template to use site
   wide that I can get up and running right away.
   - Ability to add DWR and/or other Ajax into my template

On 12/7/06, Christoph Schönfeld <cschoenfeld at sylphen.com> wrote:

> Hi Mick,
>
> did you already decid to use OpenCms?
>
> Adding content will be our customer's job. I just build the software
> they need based on OpenCms. I only use the XML content for which JSP
> templating is quite simple.
>
> The start took me a while as well. Looking at the source code was and
> still is often necessary to because of lacking documentation. This is
> the biggest problem of OpenCms.
>
> This way it takes some time to find out how things work. Though, up to
> now I did not find serious show stoppers and I wasn't forced to do ugly
> hacks or patch OpenCms. OpenCms uses interfaces at many places and it is
> possible to configure or override most of the default behaviour.
>
> I had to sacrifice the idea of deploying the whole thing as a WAR file.
> I am very unhappy with the deployment model of OpenCms and the runtime
> model of the modules. It complicates development and testing. But I try
> to reduce container testing to an absolute minimum by writing code
> decoupled from OpenCms and test cases for it that run outside of the
> container.
>
> A great thing is debugging OpenCms while it runs in the container. I do
> that in Eclipse. See http://opencms-wiki.org/Debugging. It's very easy
> to set up and works great.
>

> Best regards,
> Christoph