[opencms-dev] Can I directly edit web.xml inside the tomcat webapp DIR without killing things?

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Fri Jan 19 19:17:43 CET 2007

Mick Knutson schrieb:
> I think I can use basic authentication or acegi Spring to add web user
> security, but I want to know if this is a bad approach to edit the
> web.xml inside tomcat? Will this break all or some of OpenCms?
No, if you edit the file properly (e.g. add additional servlets, change
the servlet mapping of opencms) then opencms will still run.
BUT: if you upgrade, you have to take care to either not overwrite the
web.xml with it's updated version -OR- to re-do your manual changes to
the web.xml that comes with each updated version of opencms

christian