FW: [opencms-dev] Access groups for OpenCms sub sites.

Sebastian Himberger sebastian.himberger at gmx.de
Mon Jan 22 10:18:31 CET 2007

Hi Olli,

we have a setup for multisite hosting although it does not scale without
automating some tasks.

We have set the permissions for the Users group on the sites/ folder to:
+ override inherited
+ inherit on subfolder
(nothing more is checked)

Then we added two groups for each customer: customer - user, customer -
manager and applied the permissions on the corresponding sites subfolder
(e.g. /sites/customerA). This setup works quite well but we ran into
another problem: The template selectbox needs access to the templates
subfolder so we could not use a similar setting here. In order to
cleanly seperate templates from customers we had to explicitly deny the
templates of customerA to all other customers. As we reached this point
we decided to write a small workplace utility which manages hosted
sites. It keeps track of the permissions and even modifies the OpenCms
config files and creates the virtual hosts for apache based on a
velocity template. I don't think we can give it away at this point
(because it's "a grown system",only developed for internal use and we
currently don't have the resources to support it properly) but if you
have further questions or thoughts you can of course send me an e-mail.

best regards
Sebastian