[opencms-dev] Needed functionality (requirements) on OpenCMS

Jimisola Laursen lists at jimisola.com
Sun Jan 28 16:29:33 CET 2007

Hi!

I am checking up different Javabased CMS for migration of a college alumni
site and a related student union site.
Data migration is not a hard requirement, but we have some basic
functionality that we need:

 1. news: ability to post news to the site (e.g. last five are shown on the
right hand side)
 2. picture gallery (with basic functionality such as category/labels, ACL
etc)
 3. address book / contact list (for former student)
 4. forum / message board (nice to have: ACL)
 5. file sharing/storing using web, WebDAV etc (for meeting protocols etc,
ACL)
 6. web mail

Are these things possible with OpenCMS today? Which modules are needed and
recommended?

I get a mixed response looking at
http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/support/features.html and this feature
matrix http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix/cms-matrix?func=rate;listingId=1012
(many of these things aren't available and some of them even "costs extra".
I thought OpenCMS was fully free, but perhaps some modules are commercial?).

 1. picture gallery seems to match Asset Management (can they be viewed as
regular photo Gallery?)
 5. file sharing seems to match Asset Management

Does OpenCMP handle multiple sites (different domains) with one install or
do we need two separate installations?

Best regards,
Jimisola