[opencms-dev] combining JSP an JavaScript + [edit: and CSS]

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sun Feb 4 12:43:28 CET 2007

Volkmar Emberger schrieb:
> do you think it is very "unconventional" if I mix JSP and CSS?
>From a technical point of view it's not. If your CSS files require JSP
processing then this is fine and with opencms this will be no problem.

However, you would have to check, if browsers really reload there
stylesheets with every request. Maybe it doesn't work like that if you
want to mutate the layout of your pages with each request.

> like different background images on every load of the css?

This is a philosophical issue, isn't it? I would not like a site that
changes dramatically with each request, unless you do something very
special.
Small changes might be ok (like some sites that automatically change
header images), but don't confuse your guests.

Personally I like most websites better, if they are consistent. On the
other hand, an artsy website can do anything and still that's fine for
me. Of course this is just my own personal opinion. A good book on
usability issues like consistency is IMHO "Don't make me think" by Steve
Krug.

regards,
christian