[opencms-dev] sharing book about about OPENCMS is illegal!!! i dont think so

Joe Desbonnet joe at galway.net
Tue Feb 20 13:14:18 CET 2007

Making a *copy* of a copyrighted work generally is in violation of
copyright law, unless:
a) it's fair use (eg for backup or media shifting)
b) it's allowed by the licence (eg GPL or Creative Commons Licence etc)
c) you have permission from the copyright holder (in writing ideally).

Duplicating an eBook by emailing it to someone would in my opinion
violate the copyright of most ebooks. *However*, if you were to
download it to CD-ROM and that was your only copy, and you were to
give that CD to a friend, I suspect that would be ok. In theory you
could perform the came action using email (ie be destroying your copy
after your friend receives it)... but I'm not sure how that will hold
up on court :-)

Joe.
(IANAL disclaimer)