[opencms-dev] Problem while installing opencms_6.2.2 on Linux

Sachin Warang warang.sachin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:37:43 CET 2007

Hi Sir ,
        first of all thanks for approving my request for the OpenCms
mailing.

I've successfully installed the opencms_6.2.2 in the Windows.
I want to install opencms_6.2.2 on RedHat Linux system(Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4 with kernel 2.6.9-5.EL)..
For that i've installed the following jdk,tomcat and mysql.
jdk - jdk1.5.0_11
tomcat - apache-tomcat-5.5.20
mysql - mysql-standard-5.0.27
All compatable on Linux machine.

But while copying the ROOT.war file in webapps folder (after renaming the
original ROOT folder.)
And Start the TOMCAT server .
While accessing it by http://localhost:8080 it gives following Error,

HTTP Status 404
OpenCms is not properly initialized!
Please make sure that the OpenCms setup wizard has been run once and is
disabled now.
/

How do i resolved this issue ?
Whats the reason for this Error ?
Does it related to the Tomcat version as i've used Tomcat 5.5.9 for the
windows but i couldn't get it the same version for the Linux so i've
installed 5.5.20 ?

There is note given while installing the Tomcat on your site ,

http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/development/installation/server.html

where u've mention that ,

Please note: On Linux systems, Tomcat's JVM has to be started with the
command line argument -Djava.awt.headless=true. The
reason for this is that OpenCms uses Swing classes for parsing RTF
documents. Using these classes initializes the GUI system.
This leads to an exception as the server process doesn't have access to the
GUI system when not using the described argument.

I've tried this on the linux system command prompt , but it gives me an
Error as
-bash: -Djava.awt.headless=true: command not found

How could i manage to do this ?
As i've problem while accessing the http://localhost:8080 after starting the
tomcat which i've mention earlier in this forum.

Regards,
Sachin Warang.