[opencms-dev] announcement: alternative static export handler for static export after publish in the background

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Sun May 6 09:51:36 CEST 2007

Hello everybody,

a while ago, I have written a static export handler, which makes it
possible to do static export after publish in the background.
That means, that when publishing files, everything is published into the
online project, as usual. After this, the complete website is exported
into the file system, but this step happens in the background so that
the publishing user does not have to wait for the static export run to
continue.

If more export requests come in, while static export is still running,
then export requests are queued, so that nothing gets lost.

This custom export handler has worked well in production for some months
for a website of >1000 files inside opencms and >2500 generated files in
the static export folders. Originally, I had wanted to polish the code a
bit more, but since opencms 7 seems to have similar functionality on
board, I decided to make it available in its present state, while it is
still of potential benefit so somebody.

More details together with a small JAR and the source code can be found at:
    http://opencms-wiki.org/Static_Export_after_publish_in_the_Background

Maybe this is useful to somebody.

Best Regards
Christian