[opencms-dev] caching of jsp can lead to great confusion

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu May 10 13:27:04 CEST 2007

I was fooled this morning by a havoc I had in my external site (that is
connected to the Internet).

I did an upgrade of that site from 6.0.4 to 6.2.3, reimported to old
site database.zip and org.mysite.frontend.zip to test that the old site
was functioning.

Then I imported the new zip files (database and modules) into it, over
it, so to say. (Beware when you forget to set the correct root
of a site when importing, which also occured to me once or twice :-(

Anyway, after importing and publishing I wondered why the new pages
looked terrible.

It seemed as though the old jsps were active. Moreover the old OpenCMS
logo was in the workplace which added to the confusion. I changed
tomcat, mysql and everything else. So the panic was great when I found
my site totally broken now.

A little bit searching showed evidence that tomcat was using
webapps/ROOT/WEB-APP/jsp/system/modules/org.mysite.frontend/templates/main.jsp
etc.

After deleting these files everything was fine.

An experience which many must already have gone through but for me it
was the first time. So the confusion was great, as you can imagine.

What is the "correct" way to "flush" this kind of cache other than
deleting the files?