[opencms-dev] Some questions about OpenCms regarding a potentialdeployment

Jordi Martí jmarti at theinit.com
Mon Feb 11 17:29:30 CET 2008

Hope this helps you to start:

- Even after some hours of playing with opencms I still fail to understand
how
to create a template. Where and how to I have to create the jsp which will
serve as a template, and how to I create and refer to the content I want to
include with <cms:include element= "myElement" />  (what do I have to
call "myElement" to have it included by this tag? Does it have to be
a "pattern page", or a "structured page"?

>> You have to create a module. When you do it, you create templates for
that module in /system/modules/..../templates folder; and you create a
template with a .jsp. In that JSP, you can include the page you create with
<cms:include element="body"/>, for example. A page has so many elements as
you want (body, text1, text2, ....; for example). You can define different
parts in a page, through the default_bodies folder of your module.

Ahh I am so lost :-( )

>> I think Lost is the best tv show ever... ;-))

- If I have a link in a menu, how and where can I tell that this particular
link should open the template and display the appropriate item in the
content-area?

You say that a free page has to open with the appropiate template through
the "template" property. That template is the one who includes a part or
another one throught its <cms:include...> tags.

- I could not find any 3rd-party templates on the web... Are there sites
which
offer collections of templates for download?

>> That's a good question.

- For anoter project (which if this ones will be done with OpenCms I also
want
to do with it) I will need a guestbook. I could only find one from a company

called metamesh but it seems to be for version 6.0 only. Is there any other?

>> Another good question.

- I could not find a book about OpenCms 7.0.Ishere any?

>> Did you read the wiki?? That helped me a lot to start.

- I read in the archives that someone had tried to run OpenCms with
Firebird.
Is there more information available on this? If possible we would like to
use
Firebird 2.1.

>> No idea.

Sorry for the long post... :-)