[opencms-dev] Load balancing

Yves Glodt yg at mind.lu
Tue Mar 25 19:17:29 CET 2008

On Sunday 23 March 2008, Andy Thompson wrote:
> if you can afford a hardware loadbalancer - can afford ocee.

Hello Andy and List,

I can unfortunately not get more budget right now, and I need a working
solution very fast, so ocee is not an option right now, but it might be
soon.

How can I (manually, by system-cron e.g.) flush the cache  of a running
opencms instance?

jsp-repositories I guess can be deleted once in a while to make sure
they are recreated from the database with the lastest data

Thanks for your input,
Yves

> we've been running our site much as jordi described.  personal
> opinion was that it took as much time (read cost) to hack around
> synchronizing jsp repositories / flushing cache etc... as it would
> have taken to just buy ocee.  and i'm not happy with my hacking.
>
> /shrug.  had to do what we did to meet deadlines...
>
> -andy
>
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Yves Glodt <yg at mind.lu> wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 March 2008, Jordi Martí wrote:
> > > Alkacon has an OCEE module just for that. But of course, it is
> > > not open source. ;-))
> > >
> > > I've used OpenCMS the way you say, but having to sacrifice /
> > > implement in other way some functionalities as:
> > >       - Indexes: indexes are built in filesystem. If one instance

> > > a file, the other one won't do it, or that's what experience
> > > tells me. You should manually reindex in both machines through a
> > > external process. - FlexCache: if publishing happens in one
> > > machine, the other one will not know that a page has been
> > > published, and cache won't be invalidated. That's why I generally
> > > use a timeout based cache (cache property => "timeout=10").
> >
> > where can this property be set?
> >
> > thanks for your detailed information!
> > Yves
> >
> > >       - Config files: for example, if you import a module in one
> >
> > machine,
> >
> > > the other file "opencms-modules.xml" in the other machine won't
> > > be modified. You could rsync both files or mount that directory
> > > or something like that.
> > >
> > > There's no problem with filesystem created JSP and images,
> > > because if one instance doesn't have it, it creates in on the
> > > fly, so there's no problem.
> > >
> > > I don't remember any more, but I guess there will be. It depends
> > > on what functionalities you use or want to use.
> > >
> > > I would be glad to hear from others what troubles they have and
> > > how they solve it.
> > >

> > > JORDI MARTÍ
> > > Email: jmarti AT theinit _dot_ com
> > > Skype ID: jmarti.theinit

 19:13:44 up  1:52,  1 user,  load average: 0.57, 0.42, 0.25