[opencms-dev] Projects vs sites & rights management

Michael Emmerich m.emmerich at alkacon.com
Mon Apr 14 16:17:55 CEST 2008

Olivier,

> Hi all!
>
> This will be my first post to the list but I might be back for more
> technical questions later on ;-)
>
> I am planning to use OpenCms for the following need:
> - only managing "pure static content" (will be used more as a document
> managing system: html, pdfs, images)
> - group of users will need to manage one or many "sites".
> - I would like to allow these users to have rights only on their sites
> (a site manager is allowed for upload, delete, create... And publish,
> but only on his site(s)).
>
> I have been impressed by OpenCms user, groups, and organizational unit
> features... And I think I understand them now ;-)
>
> I have started to play with permissions and groups on folders and I
> think I will be able to manage to have some users allowed on some
> directories quite easily. But as far as I understood, "publish" will
> always publish all subdirectories... Or maybe not with subprojects?
>
> My question is: what exactly is a "project" and a "site" in OpenCms? The
> next question is: how would you advice me to use projects and sites to
> achieve the above goal?
>
> I don't really understand the concept of offline / online project, and
> /sites file tree.

Online / Offline, this is easy:
Normally you have an OpenCms system running on the server that delivers
your website. Therefore, all access to the system will also read the
content of the online project.
When you log in the OpenCms workplace, you can switch to the different
projects, by default you have "Online" and "Offline".
To edit some content, you have to be in the "Offline" project. You can
do your changes, check if your changes "look good" in your templates and
so on. As long as you are doing so, the visitor of your website will not
see your changes as you have made them to the "Offline" project and he
is always accesing the "Online" project. Therefore you have to publish
the content to get it online. Publishing can only be done if you have
the role of a projectmanager, so you can have users which are able to
edit the content and tohose to review the changes and put it online.

About the sites:
One OpenCms installation can be used to serve multiple sites. Each of
the folders in the /sites folder has the content for a single website.
Please take a look at the documentation module about multisite which is
part of your OpenCms installation.

> Hope I was clear... I am not saying there is no clear doc on the
> subject... But I didn't find it!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Olivier

Kind regads,
Michael Emmerich

--
Michael Emmerich
Alkacon Software GmbH - The OpenCms Experts

Visit OpenCms Days 2008 Conference and Expo
May 5 to May 6 2008 in Cologne, Germany

http://www.alkacon.com
http://www.opencms.org