[opencms-dev] Copying an existing project to another server

Pomegranate Software- Arash Kaffamanesh arash.kaffamanesh at pomegranate.de
Thu May 22 17:33:23 CEST 2008

Hi Randell,

you are welcome to our list, we are here to help!

lets say you want to clone your whole project from one staging server
(referred hereafter as QA) to another production server (referred as P
server) and I suppose you are going to use another database on the same
P server too.

1. you have to copy the whole opencms folder from tomcat/webapps from QA
to P (stop tomcat on QA and P server, tar your opencms on QA, move it to
P and untar it there under webapps folder of P server))

2. you have to copy the opencms QA db under mysql/data to the P server
too and set the user and required permissions / privileges accordingly
on the db of P server, see also this post
<http://www.pomegranate.de:9000/cms/forum/viewthread?thread=68#129>). If
you are getting connection permission problems to the P db server also
this post
<http://www.pomegranate.de:9000/cms/forum/viewthread?thread=18#33> might
be of help.

3. You have to adjust the following files now under WEB-INF/config on P
Server:

    opencms-system.xml (change the url of workplace and site server
under the sites node to your P server)
    opencms-importexport.xml (set the righ server url here:
<exporturl>http://<P Server
Address>:8080${CONTEXT_NAME}/handle404</exporturl>)
    opencms.properties (change the db.pool.default.jdbcUrl to the db of
p server and set the right user and password and change the macaddress
setting also (server.ethernet.address=<set to the mac addres of the P
server>))

4. Restart tomcat (maybe the db server too in some cases, but in
production environments it shall be avoided ;-))

5. Have fun on your P server ;-)

If you have problems, check opencms.log and let me know what it says,
perhaps I'm missing something, if you was successful, it would be kind
from you providing feedback or post a small HowTo on opencms.wiki
<http://opencms-wiki.org/Main_Page>.

Best,
Arash