[opencms-dev] mod_proxy setup problems

Brad Clemmons Jr brad.clemmons at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 19:43:39 CEST 2008

Hi all,
I'm having a few problems on a quasi-new install.  I already have one
system running Opencms 5 and I had the current system running
opencms7.0.4 basically in standalone mode.   The problems started when
I tried to setup for mod_proxy.

I tried setting up via mod_proxy via the instructions for using
mod_proxy in the 7.0.4 documentation module.  I already had a working
Opencms install so I wasn't real happy about the instructions provided
under "using mod_proxy" regarding removing /ROOT and making sure there
were no opencms installs already under webapps.  But I digress.

This is what my tomcat_home/webapps looks like after removing the
original /ROOT and /opencms directories, renaming the original
opencms.war to ROOT.war and dumping the ROOT.war in there and letting
tomcat extract it.
drwxr-xr-x 10 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jun  2 11:31 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jan 28 13:41 ..
drwxr-xr-x  5 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jan 28 13:38 balancer
drwxr-xr-x 21 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jan 28 13:38 jsp-examples
drwxr-xr-x  3 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jun  2 11:31 opencms
-rw-r--r--  1 tomcat tomcat        0 Jun  2 11:31 opencms_init.log
drwxr-xr-x  7 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jun  2 12:20 ROOT
-rw-r--r--  1 root   root   46442274 Mar  3 16:23 ROOT.war
drwxr-xr-x  4 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jan 28 13:38 servlets-examples
drwxr-xr-x 12 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jan 28 13:39 tomcat-docs
drwxr-xr-x  3 tomcat tomcat     4096 Jan 28 13:38 webdav

I followed the instructions for "Using mod_proxy" for Opencms 7.0.4

This is the error after setup successfully completes and it tries to
load the default page:
# HTTP Status 404 - /opencms/index.jsp
# type Status report
# message /opencms/index.jsp
# description The requested resource (/opencms/index.jsp) is not available.
# Apache Tomcat/5.5.26

Restarting tomcat had no affect.

I continued on through Step 4(Using mod_proxy) anyway and when
attempting to access the site at http://server.mydomain.com/ I get
this error:
# HTTP Status 404 - /opencms/
# type Status report
# message /opencms/
# description The requested resource (/opencms/) is not available.
# Apache Tomcat/5.5.26

If I try to manually type in the index page which I would figure would
be servername.mydomain.com/ROOT/index.jsp I get a similar error
basically not finding the page.

What am I missing here?  I made backups of my working install before
mucking with this mod_proxy stuff so worst comes to worst I can say to
**** with it and roll back.  I'd like to get this working though for a
number of reasons.

What the server is running on:
CentOS 5
Apache2.2
Tomcat5.5
Java SDK 6update6
Opencms7.0.4

Thanks,

-Brad

--
I am the guardian standing at the gates and evil shall not pass, it
will not cast it shadow on me and mine, and I will not fear it.