[opencms-dev] Import arbitrary XML documents into OpenCms

Sebastian Himberger sebastian.himberger at gmx.de
Wed Jun 11 07:25:34 CEST 2008

Hi,

I once did this with a huge product catalog. We used a scheduled job for
importing a local directory into the OpenCms VFS. XSLT was used to
generate the HTML for the XmlPages. These pages were not designed to be
modified but converting them gave us a couple of advantages (at least in
our context):

 - Speed: The flex cache of OpenCms was used and the transformation
(which was a complex one) was only done once.
 - Decoupling: The web catalog kept running even if the catalog database
crashed
 - Search: The XmlPages are well integrated in the OpenCms fulltext search
 - Navigation: You can use the sitemap and navigation features to nicely
integrate your content

Of course the catalog was not changed extremly frequently and update
time on the website was not critical (changes were propagated once a
day). For us it worked out pretty well but of course the context is
always a different one. It is a bit of work to develop such a import.

does this help or was the answer to generic?

best regards,
Sebastian