[opencms-dev] Lucene and European letter variations

Rune Sandnes rune at klapp.no
Sun Jun 22 21:26:52 CEST 2008

Hi,

I was a bit surprised when a customer told me that the search engine didn't
work as expected, it was not possible to find for example "Hergé" when the
user searched for "Herge".

I looked into the documentation of Lucene, at it seems like you have to
specify a analyzer that will store the "clean" version of the letters in the
index for this to be possible.
So I changed the analyzer for my locale (norwegian) to
org.apache.lucene.analysis.fr.FrenchAnalyzer to see if that would help, but
to no avail.

Am I looking in the wrong place? How do I configure the search to find all
variations of a word?

Regards,
Rune