[opencms-dev] OpenCMS DB Connection Errors

Brett Sheeran brett.sheeran at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 13:01:37 CEST 2008

Hi,

OpenCMS is generating large numbers of SQL connection errros when
under load. Can anyone tell me how to stop these errors without to
editing the registry please? Details as follows.

Error:
----------
[ERROR] CmsJspLoader - Error reading resource from path
"/system/modules/com.company.product/resources/styles.css"
	at org.opencms.db.CmsDbSqlException.createException(CmsDbSqlException.java:116)
Caused by: org.opencms.db.CmsDbSqlException: An SQL error occurred
when executing the following query: .
	at org.opencms.db.generic.CmsVfsDriver.readResource(CmsVfsDriver.java:1922)
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: The driver was
unable to create a connection due to an inability to establish the
client portion of a socket.

This is usually caused by a limit on the number of sockets imposed by
the operating system. This limit is usually configurable.

For Unix-based platforms, see the manual page for the 'ulimit'
command. Kernel or system reconfiguration may also be required.

For Windows-based platforms, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
196271 (Q196271).
	at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.createNewIO(Connection.java:2820)
----------

OS: Windows Server 2003
DB: MySQL 5.0.5
Java: 1.6
Tomcat: 6.0
OpenCMS: 7.04

my.ini changes:
   max_connections=600

opencms.properties changes:
   db.pool.default.maxActive=400
   db.pool.default.whenExhaustedAction=grow
   db.statements.default.whenExhaustedAction=grow

The strange thing is, all HTML and CSS is cached. So, I don't
understand why I should require so many DB connections.

Thank you.

Regards

Brett S

P.S. Thanks to Steve Bryan for his commwnts on FileUploadApplet I will
try as suggested.