[opencms-dev] Static export & synchronization: a few notes

Chirouze Olivier olivier.chirouze at volvo.com
Mon Aug 18 10:13:00 CEST 2008

Hi list,

Two things I discovered while playing with OpenCms synchronization and
static export. I didn't find these in any docs nor book but I think they
are quite important to know about. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I
think that:

- folder synchronization is "project dependant". I mean that when you
click on the "synchronize folder" button, you will synchronize the real
filesystem with the virtual filesystem _on the current project_. It is
very important since you might want to synchronize with offline project,
not online, for instance. I didn't find this obvious at all (though it
sounds logicall and might be usefull).

- when configuring static export, you should never choose a different
filesystem (or different network drives on Windows) for exportpath and
exportworkpath: copying files in Java doesn't like different
filesystems. I have been fighting with static export for weeks because I
had workpath in /tmp and export path in /data on a Unix system.

Hope this will help people who might have trouble with these two
interesting features.

Olivier