[opencms-dev] Performance

opencms at johnen.biz opencms at johnen.biz
Wed Aug 27 19:43:51 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to migrate from version 6 to 7.
As the systems performance is ok but could be
better, I'm also looking into improving the
configuration since the max. hits per hour
might soon double from now about 19000.
Currently it's running on Apache 1.3 with mod_jk, Mysql 4.0.24 with
jdk1.5_0_06. I was thinking about switching to the latest
Apache2, Tomcat 6 and Mysql 5 with latest jdk as well.
Does anyone have experience with that configuration?
Is it better to use Tomcat 5.5 as recommended in the installguide?
Should i also stick to Apache 1.3?
How about the jdk? Any known problems with the latest version?
I want to improve performance but off course stability is prio one.
The system is running on a P4 3.4 Ghz, 160 GB harddisk and approx.
900 MB ram. Probably i would get the biggest boost from moving
to a new server. Anyone got with a similar hardware?
Ram usage is always up to 890 of 900 which is surely not optimal !?
I gave about 750 mb to the jvm. Is that maybe even too much?
Lots of questions, any comments or links would be highly appreciated!
Many greetings
Marc