[opencms-dev] Performance

Roman Uhlig roman.uhlig at knve.de
Thu Aug 28 10:57:34 CEST 2008

We just did a migration for 4 of our servers similar to yours. We upgraded
like that:

OpenCms 6.2.3 -> 7.0.5
Tomcat 5.5 -> Tomcat 6 (latest)
SUN JDK 1.5 -> SUN JDK 1.6 (latest)
PostgreSQL 8.1 -> PostgreSQL 8.3.3
Apache 2.2.x as Proxy -> Apache 2.2.x with mod_jk

If you stick to OpenCms 7.0.5 (do not use any previous 7.x version, they
have major issues in their db code, at least for PostgreSQL), you should not
encounter any problems. At least we didn't.

The performance boost after the upgrade was incredible, so don't hesitate to
do it as soon as possible. As motivation, below is a link to a graph of our
server monitoring service (munin), showing the average page rendering time
before and after the update. As you can see, we updated in july. This is
remarkable, because this very server is a Dell PowerEdge Xeon quad core with
16 GB of RAM, which is lightning fast already.

Monitoring graph: http://files.maxity.com/munin_tomcat.jpg

Roman