[opencms-dev] Best Practices for Setting up 'staging'environment for Content?

Mathias Lin mathias.conradt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:17:40 CEST 2008

Hi Olivier,

yes, it's a missing feature. For very basic and quite static (fix rules)
workflow functionality we've extended the OpenCms (6.2.3) core class (mainly
CmsXmlContentEditor.java) and some workplace jsp files (edit.js,
editor_forms.jsp, editor_buttons.jsp under
/system/workplace/editors/xmlcontent/) - our approach:
We added a button into the editor's tool bar named 'save, notify and exit',
which looks up the 'responsible' group of the edited file, and send a
notification mail with a link in it to the group members, so the validator
can go right to the editor screen to approve the content. A second publish
button also has the option to notify that the file has been approved and
published.
That would be the very basic approach.

For enhanced workflow, there exists a third-party module:
see http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2007q4/028561.html
and http://sourceforge.net/projects/bp-cms-commons/

Mathias