[opencms-dev] Problems through Byte-Order Mark

Sun Feb 1 11:33:24 CET 2009

I do know similar issues, but not with openCMS yet. When creating jsp's
for tomcat for plain delivery (no framework used) I once had to play
around with page encoding. The pages did not only contain "hardcoded"
jsp code, but also content that was fetched in-time from 3rd party
interfaces and xml files from disk. In fact I had two problems:
  1.) The Strings that built up the page did have different encodings.
  2.) The system language (default OS file encoding) was set to "c"
which in fact has been 8bit ascii and not UTF-8 (e.g. declare -x
LANG="en_US.UTF-8")
  3.) Tomcat was to set deliver ISO-8859-1 encoded pages by default.

I did mostly end up with either UTF-8 characters interpreted as 1 Bit
chars  or characters that were encoded twice (1 UTF-8 char was encoded
to 2 UTF-8 chars as both bytes from the original UTF-8 were encoded again).

Did you change the default encoding somewhere?
Did you set the "page-encoding" (or similar) directives on any jsp pages
or in the opencms properties?
Did copying the content to a new empty file solve the problem (does the
new file cause the same issues)?
Are there any npc (non-printable-characters) somewhere in the jsp code
that might create these issues (ignored by the gui, but messing up the
layout)?

Can you provide a stand alone example of the jsp?

br,
Philip