[opencms-dev] Strange behaviour with permissions (Workplace <-> Direct Edit), Image Gallery visibility

Mathias Lin | SYSVISION mail at mathiaslin.com
Tue Mar 24 09:42:35 CET 2009

I experience a strange behaviour regarding permissions as follows:
(OpenCms7.0.5, only using users and groups, not OUs)

I have a user group: "Operators" (inherited from User, with workplace role)
and a user "Operator A", who is member of group "Operators"

This is the site structure (under /sites/mySite/):

/
/news/
/news/operators/
/news/operators/operatorA/
/news/operators/operatorA/img (this is an image gallery)
/news/operators/operatorA/index.html

Now I have set the following permissions:

Folder: /
Permission settings: Any permission weakly rejected (unchecked all boxes)
for group "Operators"

Folder: /news/operators/operatorA/
Permission settings: All rights explicitly granted (overwriting) to user
"Operator A"

I experience now two strange things:

(1)
When I login with user "Operator A" into the workplace, I cannot open the
context popup menu for the file /news/operators/operatorA/index.html,
although the users has all rights for it and is the responsible user for it.
For example I cannot open the context menu to edit the file.
Strangely though, I can open the file in the preview browser window and then
go through the direct edit in order to edit the page without a problem (as
expected).
So my question is, why can the user not open the context menu for this
index.html file in the workplace?
The context menu works for others folders like
/news/operators/operatorA/img, but not for the file
/news/operators/operatorA/index.html
And there are no other permissions set to the index.html, they are exactly
the same as set to the folder /img under /news/operators/operatorA

(2)
Folder /news/operators/operatorA/img is an image gallery and it's published.
But it does not show up in the selection list when using the editor/image
gallery icon to insert an image.
It shows up though when I create a sibling folder of it which lies under
/system/resources/img/...
Why does it make a difference? The user has all rights to the folder and
subfolders of /news/operators/operatorA/
Is it a problem that he doesn't have rights to the parent folders ?

Another nice-to-have feature I came across when working on these issues: if
the startsite parameter of the VfsFileWidget would support macros to use the
current URI as start folder.
This has already been suggested in a previous thread:
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-OpenCms-7.0.3---.xsd-VfsFileWidget-configuration-tp14883846p14883846.html
Has anyone customized this already by any chance?

-----
Mathias Lin
SYSVISION Ltd., China
http://www.sysvision.com