[opencms-dev] Open CMS Crashes when Viewing Module in Workspace

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Mon Mar 30 16:41:33 CEST 2009

Hi Charles,

if you want to edit your files in the system folder and preview the changes at the same time, you could use two separate browsers with separate logins - one for editing and one for viewing. The browser that you use for viewing needs to be logged in too, so that you can see unpublished context, but in this way you have two sessions which can work in different contexts inside of opencms.

At the beginning it also took me a while to understand the idea of a website root - in an opencms session, there is always one site that is active. The folder prefix of that active site will be prepended to the path of each file that is accessed. This means that each website is like a separate name space but it also means that the paths that you need to access a resource and the visibility of resources depends on the site that is currently active for your user.

All this is needed so that one opencms installation can easily serve separate web sites without the templates having to know where each site lies in the opencms file system.

hth
Christian