[opencms-dev] Date format in OpenCms

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 17:56:42 CEST 2009

My environment is RedHat Linux running Tomcat 5.5 and OpenCms 7.0.5. The locale is en_GB.

I would dearly like to change the date format displayed by OpenCms Workplace to that of my
locale. Currently all dates (login date, date last modified etc.) are formated in American
style mm/dd/yy. I find this confusing when the date is numeric.

If I switch language to German I get the correct German data format, so how come when I
switch back to English I get American format dates? I've searched OpenCms itself and the
archives of this mailing list and I can't find any way of changing this.

The browser (Firefox) sends a Accept language en-gb. The Java locale for Tomcat is
definitely en_GB and OpenCms is picking this up when it starts, this is reported in the
OpenCms logfile opencms.log:

30 Mar 2009 15:37:46,399  INFO [.opencms.i18n.CmsLocaleManager: 333] . i18n configuration
   : the JVM default locale is "en_GB"

So why does OpenCms think that English means American, and how do I convince it that
English really means English?

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555