[opencms-dev] Passwordhandler & Digest-Type

Mathias Lin | SYSVISION mail at mathiaslin.com
Wed Apr 22 08:37:04 CEST 2009

I'm migrating a site from OpenCms5 to 7 and noticed that the password
encryption in the DB of both versions differs. I want to migrate the users
incl. their old passwords. I searched and only found these two threads about
the topic:

http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2005q1/014907.html
http://www.nabble.com/Getting-User-Password-without-logging-in-td6893678.html#a6896763

but no real solution for me in there yet.

Now I try to understand what the passwordhandler and digest-type parameters
in the opencms-system.xml is actually for and therefore playing around with
it. So just for a test, I set the digest-type from 'MD5' to 'plain' and then
replaced the encrypted password in the DB with a plain password (setting
'admin' in plain text into the DB as the password for user 'Admin') - as
said this is of course just for my testing and better understanding, I won't
use 'plain' on production server. Then I restart the app.

But this way the login doesn't work anymore. Even I changed the digest-type
to plain, the login only works if I put the encrypted password back into the
DB.
Can somebody explain the usage of passwordhandler briefly? Where does the
setting in opencms-system.xml actually take any effect?

Furthermore, doesn anyone have a hint how to migrate passwords from v5 to
v7? Will DB export via Admin / DB Management work?

Thanks!
Mathias

-----
Mathias Lin