[opencms-dev] problem installing opencms.war as ROOT.war (debian tomcat 5.5)

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun May 24 14:42:39 CEST 2009

> ok...
>
> After you have successfully installed tomcat5.5 sun-java5-jdk sun-java5-jre,
> you should be able to deploy opencms.
>
> Before deploying, do not forget to change the tomcat_security parameter to NO
> (as discussed before),  restart tomcat (/etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 restart)
>

> Ah, and you can take a look here as well:
> http://opencms-wiki.org/Installing_on_Debian_Etch

Thanks again. I had some pause on this machine but yesterday I continued
installing OpenCms 7.0.5. I still had to overcome some quirks.

/usr/share/tomcat5.5-webapps has to be made owned by tomcat55 (the user
under which tomcat runs on debian).

Also I'm missing the automatism that tomcat deploys a ROOT.war or
opencms.war automatically when you put it into the webapps directory.
Wonder if it is a tomcat configuration switch which is disabled under
tomcat5.5 for debian.

Anyway, I unjared ROOT.war (alias opencms.war - I need it as the ROOT
app) and started the setup.

The setup produced about 11000 lines and then the stop watch timer ran
and ran and never ended. It ran for probably half or three quartes of an
hour in step8 (unpacking modules or installing mnodules or what that was
called).

I'm now wondering (did not check yet) if the installation went through
anyway or can be briought to an end manually or if I will have to start
over again.