[opencms-dev] Deleting resources and database size

Isaac R. Higgins isaac.higgins at isaacray.com
Tue May 26 16:14:55 CEST 2009

If you want the actual disk usage to go down, you should:

1. Delete the resources in OpenCMS
2. Purge the history in OpenCMS
3. Repair/Optimize the tables in MySQL.

The reasoning is that when MySQL deletes a row, it doesn't neccessarily remove the data there.  It dereferences it and reserves it for the next insert.  This is for performance purposes much the same way Windows manages an NTFS partition.  With a database of 10G, I'd suggest scheduling a job to optimize tables once a week or maybe every 2 weeks depending on the activity in your installation.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/optimize-table.html

Tables can also be optimized from MySQL Administrator
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html