[opencms-dev] static export - reversible?

manfred.schenk at zerobyte.de manfred.schenk at zerobyte.de
Tue May 26 17:18:16 CEST 2009

>In a 6.2.3 I inadvertently did a static export. When I clicked OK,
>I got told "deleting .../export/". Huh, I thought, hope, this will be
>reversible.

You don't have to worry:

If you have a deeper look on how the static export works then you'll find out that you have just triggered the standard procedure for exporting.

In normal operation all content which is marked as exportable will be exported at the first time is is accessed. All future accesses will be served statically from the export folder afterwards.
When the content changes, the according file is just deleted from the exports folder and the circle starts again with the next access.

By "forcing" a static export the system just deletes the export folder to make sure that there are no old exports and afterwards does the export for all exportable ressources.

So you don't have to worry about losing information by clicking on static export.

I hope the above text doen't contain any serious mistakes - otherwise please correct me.

Regards,
Manfred