[opencms-dev] Multi-Site Configuration (ports vs hostnames)

John Burbridge jburbridge at salesforce.com
Thu Jun 18 20:30:11 CEST 2009

Hello OpenCms people,

I'm working on setting up a multi-site configuration with OpenCms 7 being run from Resin (instead of Tomcat). The docs on the wiki refer to how to perform this using tomcat and apache, creating a new port for each new site, then proxying the requests via apache to the appropriate port on Tomcat.

http://www.opencms-wiki.org/MultiSite_configuration_instructions

Does anyone know if this can be simplified by using true virtual hosting? Ie, instead of having multiple ports open, can the OpenCms handler figure out where to send the request based on the hostname in the request header? (this is essentially what apache would do to forward the request to the right port in tomcat anyway)

I'm sure I can figure this out through some experimentation but thought I'd bounce the idea off the group for a head start.

Thanks a mil,
JB

John Burbridge
Web Development :: Salesforce.com IT