[opencms-dev] Performance Tuning Questions

Brett Sheeran brett.sheeran at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:56:59 CEST 2009

Once again, thanks to Christian for his helpful reply.

> P.S. 600 / 900 connections really sounds awfully much to me.
> How many parallel users to you have at peak times?

I am currently simulating 1000 users. 600 connections is probably too
high. However, if I reduce the number of connections to 300 I get 10
second delays when the Flex Cache expires. Unfortunately I cannot use
static export as there will be hundreds of file variations..

> You should turn on eviction in opencms.properties. This has been added
> to opencms.properties.

Eviction was already activated with all the standard values.
*However*, this was still useful advice because I found that *if* I
increased numTestsPerEvictionRun, reduced timeBetweenEvictionRuns and
reduced minEvictableIdleTime *then*, my SQL errors stopped and the
number of active connections did not increase at the same rate.

So, my configuration currently looks like this:
db.pool.default.maxActive=300
db.pool.default.maxIdle=240
db.pool.default.whenExhaustedAction=grow
db.pool.default.testWhileIdle=true
db.pool.default.timeBetweenEvictionRuns=720000
db.pool.default.numTestsPerEvictionRun=600
db.pool.default.minEvictableIdleTime=360000
db.pool.default.testQuery=SELECT STRUCTURE_ID FROM
CMS_OFFLINE_STRUCTURE WHERE RESOURCE_PATH = '/'
(some of these values seem quite extreme though)

>> Incidentally, I am not querying the database directly.
> What do you mean by that? Do you mean that you queried opencms rather
> than the DB for how many connections are open?

Correct. I had not created any SQL code of my own and I was getting
the number of active connections from this command:
cmsSqlManager.getActiveConnections("opencms:default");

> In that case, I would
> expect that the DB gives much lower figures for the amount of live DB
> connections and that some connections to which opencms is still holding
> on have actually been closed by the DB.

Oh, I see.

Thanks again

Regards Brett