[opencms-dev] Performance Tuning Questions

Brett Sheeran brett.sheeran at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 01:43:16 CEST 2009

Christian Steinert wrote:
> It's worth to try if things work properly, if you force opencms to check each DB connection when it is taken from the pool.
<snip/>
> My suspicion is that still some connections are dying in the pool

Yet again, thank you for the suggestion Christian and I believe your
suspicion is correct :-)

I set testOnBorrow=true and can report the following positive and
negative changes:
-Positive change: the number of active connections does *not* steadily increase.
-Negative change: the *maximum* page load times increase by 60%
resulting in more connection timeouts for my test clients. The maximum
page load times occur when the Flex Cache times out. So, page load
times when loading from the Flex Cache are unchanged.
-Negative change: CPU use has increased from 15% of maximum to 40%

In my case, testOnBorrow has too greater cost on performance.

Thanks again.

Brett