[opencms-dev] Performance Tuning Questions

Brett Sheeran brett.sheeran at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:53:04 CEST 2009

Christian Steinert Wrote:
> Just out of interest: do you still use eviction or did you turn that off
> completely?

Still using evication, settings as follows:
db.pool.default.testWhileIdle=true
db.pool.default.timeBetweenEvictionRuns=720000
db.pool.default.numTestsPerEvictionRun=600
db.pool.default.minEvictableIdleTime=360000

> Probably it should be enough, if eviction runs often enough so that dead
> connections are sorted out quickly enough, e.g. by doing an eviction run
> for 10% of the max. amount of connections 10 times as often as the DB
> connections time out in mySQL. Do you actually do something like that or
> do things actually work out for you without any eviction whatsoever?

My numTestsPerEvictionRun is probably far too high and greater than
idle setting. From what you say, numTestsPerEvictionRun should only be
about 40. However, numTestsPerEvictionRun=600 didn't seem to cause a
noticable degradation in performance.

> If you still need eviction, then with your current settings, this would
> of course only start to show after 24 hours.

My tests have been running for over 24 hours and I'm pleased to say, I
haven't lost a single connection yet.

> Another question: in your writeup in the have Wiki that you do page
> invalidation based on URI.

Oh dear. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I'm responsible for
writing this wiki. I don't want to take credit for someone else s
work.
http://www.opencms-wiki.org/Performance_Tuning_Example

However, I did post my settings on the OpenCMS Forum. Not as good as
the wiki though.
http://www.opencms-forum.de/opencms-forum/viewthread?thread=3631

> However, smaller chunks that are included into more than one page are
> better cached in a more general fashion, for example with
> cache="element" or cache="element;locale" (these two are the ones I use
> most frequently, sometimes I also create variants based on URL parameters).
>
> Also, do you use static export on demand? This allows to further reduce
> hits on the CMS, since a static page can then be generated upon first
> request and will then be served statically by tomcat.

Excellent advice no doubt. However, in my case, there are thousands of
potential variations for each page. So, I don't think exporting is a
practical option.

Thanks

Regards Brett