[opencms-dev] Problems with Umlaute in workplace.properties files (OpenCms 7.5)

Achim Westermann achim.westermann at gmx.de
Fri Aug 7 00:53:44 CEST 2009

Hi Bernd & Christian,

also a tip regarding properties files that might be stored in OpenCms
VFS and mapped as export points to the file system:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html#load(java.io.InputStream)

uses ISO-8859-1 as the assumed encoding. It is possible (and should be
done) to set the property "encoding" of those *.properties files in VFS
to "ISO-8859-1". Then you are e.g. able to enter german Umlauts. If you
click save, the reloaded file in the editor will then not show up with
scrambled characters. In the hard case (when you need to use characters
that are not available in that codepage) you still have to use the
unicode representation of those characters mentioned by Christian.

Kind Regards,
Achim.

Achim Westermann