[opencms-dev] Undocumented changes in external link handling between OpenCMS 7.0 and 7.5?

Jonas Maurus jonas.maurus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 02:04:55 CEST 2009

Hi,

we're working on upgrading a customer's site and seem to have
encountered an undocumented change:

Up to OpenCMS 7.0.5, using the LinkGalleryWidget to assign a link to a
OpenCmsString value within a xml content object, resulted in the URL
of the link being assigned to the string value. We could never quite
figure out that behavior and how to get to the other values that can
be specified in the Link-Datatype and due to time-constraints we
created a nested xml content schema that allowed us to define metadata
for URLs that are stored in a link gallery as link objects.

Now in OpenCMS 7.5 we discovered that the LinkGalleryWidget changed
its behavior and does now assign the path of the link object to the
OpenCmsString value in the xml content editor with OpenCMS
automatically redirecting the user if she should request the URL of
such an object.

Is there documentation for this change or tool support to convert
OpenCmsString values in the old format to the new format?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Jonas Maurus