[opencms-dev] Problem: when publishing the file first gets delated then recreated

Andrea Puddu docpuddu at tiscali.it
Mon Sep 21 12:59:07 CEST 2009

Hi Lorenzo,
first of all you should check what kind of ExportHandler is in use in
your OpenCms installation. (see
[...]/alkacon-documentation/documentation_staticexport/config/...)

According to the behaviour you've described I guess it is

|CmsAfterPublishStaticExportHandler|

If you use OpenCms with |CmsOnDemandStaticExportHandler| it recreates
the deleted page on the fly when a new http request from a browser
occurs. (so no 404 errors...)

So in the "AfterPublishStaticExport" scenario when you publish a
subsequent export on the file system takes place. The problem of the 404
is when you have several resources to be published and OpenCms as first
action deletes them and then recreated (during the export phase) the new
ones. In this range of time, until recreation you have 404s.

A possible resolution is to introduce an additional stage of export,
let's call it 'live' so that it will be in sync with export.
According to this the webserver, serves pages from 'live' folder which
is in sync with the export folder where OpenCms writes during the export
phase.

The technique to keep synced the export and live folder is crucial.

HTH.

Ciao,
    Andrea

Andrea Puddu