[opencms-dev] Lucene / ulimit / too many open files

Roman Uhlig roman.uhlig at knve.de
Wed Sep 23 14:54:54 CEST 2009

We are currently facing some problems with OpenCms search indices and the
number of open files. We believe it's since the 7.5.0 update, but this may
be deceiving.

After a server is running for some days or a few weeks, it finally reaches
the ulimit because of too many open .cfs files, which are Lucene search
indices I think (I don't have any experience in Lucene at all). We doubled
the ulimit, but this only extended the time until the ulimit is reached.
Finally there will be too many open files because of a huge amount of open
.cfs files.

We are currently running the following config on our OpenCms servers:

- OpenCms 7.5.0
- PostgreSQL 8.4.1 (happened with 8.3.7 as well)
- Sun JDK 1.6.0.16
- Tomcat 6.0.20
- GenToo Linux 64Bit (2.6.30-gentoo-r5)

Any suggestions or hints would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Roman