[opencms-dev] Problems with labels in workplace_ru.properties

Paul-Inge Flakstad flakstad at npolar.no
Tue Sep 29 22:56:30 CEST 2009

Hi all

In one of our multilanguage sites, Russian and English content is mixed. Everything's working as expected (since we're using UTF-8 encoding), but all the labels read from workplace_ru.properties, using CmsJspActionElement#label(String), is just gibberish...

As a workaround, I created my own label(String, Locale) method that does nothing more than simply read the value straight out from the workplace_ru.properties file. When using this method to access the labels, everything is OK, but the .properties file is "parsed" upon each invocation, so it's not desirable to keep using it.

I've tried this:
Set the HTML charset to utf-8.
Set the JSP pageEncoding to utf-8.
Set the OpenCms <defaultcontentencoding> to utf-8.
I also checked the HTTP response header, it also says utf-8.

Also, I been experimenting with different constellations of encodings (including Cyrillic iso-8859-5), but to no avail.

Can anyone please provide some insight?

(Just so there's no mistake, I'm reading the labels from the .properties file to use them as text on a web-page, not in the OpenCms workplace. Things like "Photo:", "Published by " and alike.)

Cheers,
Paul