[opencms-dev] Adding checksums to OpenCms 8

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Wed Sep 30 23:51:56 CEST 2009

Sebastian Himberger wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> that's a good Idea. Maybe something like an checkIntegrity(I_CmsResport)
> or something like this.

I like Andreas' comment on this - he is right, if checking is enabled it
should be enough to just read each file and if something is wrong, then
an appropriate special kind of CMSException could be fired.
> I don't know regarding the properties and other metadata. If we use NULL
> fields it would of course be possible to make this configurable.
I think NULL fields are best for this since not everybody may want this
kind of validation.

It would be great if the upgrade wizard or a small separate tool could
generate checksums for existing content.
Of course, an Admin could - already with the present tools - also touch
all resources through the explorer and cause the content to be
re-written, which would then re-calculate the check sums but this would
mess up the update dates for all resources.

>  I don't
> think we need another integrity mechanism for the structure but
> properties might be interesting. Although I think adding it to the
> content would already provide a huge improvement.

agreed. This also depends a little on the direction into which opencms
is going. It seems that there is a slight push towards getting more into
xml content and away from properties, although properties will probably
be around for a long time and maybe forever. Checksums on VFS structures
might really be the wrong thing to even try at the high level of
abstraction at which opencms is using its storage, so that whoever wants
this level of integrity would need to use a sufficiently capable DB
underneath.

Best Regards
Christian